About Mission San Luis Obispo in San Luis Obispo, California
Set along shaded streets and framed by beautiful mountain tops, Mission San Luis Obispo is the fifth California mission and was founded by Father Junipero Serra in September of 1772. Located in the heart of the San Luis Obispo downtown shopping region, it enjoys a Mission Plaza where concerts and community programs are held. The mission serves the community as a working church with a diocesan parish ministered by priests who carry on the work that Father Serra began.
Named after Saint Louis, Bishop of Toulouse, France, the building was constructed from 1793-1794 with a front portico added in 1794. The building fell into disrepair and was completely restored in 1933. It’s a beautiful building and has a wonderful garden to walk in. SLO isn’t far from the coastal communities of Morro Bay, Pismo Beach, and Avila Beach so if you are in the area, consider a visit to the Mission San Luis Obispo.
See a map of all the Spanish Missions in California.
- 751 Palm St
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
- (805) 781-8220
- Visit website
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.