San Diego Zoo
About San Diego Zoo in San Diego, California
The San Diego Zoo is a world class institution dedicated to the study and care of animals, including many endangered species. It ranks high on the list of the top zoos in the U.S. and the world.
A beautiful full color publication and map is included with your visit to the zoo. This comes in handy as there is so much to see.
For those who are disabled or like to ride, there is a bus tour with narration which circles the zoo. This is a hilly place so most people will want to ride the tram. Plus it is educational and offers a good vantage point for many of the animals. Situated in San Diego’s famous Balboa Park, you will not find a lovelier place to enjoy nature’s call of the wild (except maybe the Wild Safari Park not far away in Escondido).
Here are ten recommended things to see and do at San Diego Zoo.
- Explore the various exhibits: The San Diego Zoo is home to over 3,500 animals from more than 650 species, so take your time to wander through the various exhibits and learn about the diverse array of animals on display.
- See the pandas: The zoo is one of only four in the United States that has giant pandas, so don’t miss the opportunity to see these adorable creatures in person.
- Take a guided bus tour: The bus tour provides an excellent overview of the park and allows visitors to see animals that may be difficult to spot on foot.
- Ride the Skyfari aerial tram: Take a 10-minute ride on the Skyfari aerial tram for a unique perspective of the zoo and its surroundings.
- Visit the Elephant Odyssey: This exhibit features elephants, lions, and other animals from the Southern California region and provides insight into the area’s natural history.
- Attend a wildlife show: The zoo offers several daily wildlife shows, including the popular “Dr. Zoolittle’s Animal Show” and the “Elephant Odyssey Show.”
- Check out the Children’s Zoo: Designed specifically for younger visitors, the Children’s Zoo offers hands-on exhibits, a petting zoo, and a miniature train ride.
- Go on a behind-the-scenes tour: For an even more immersive experience, consider taking a behind-the-scenes tour to learn about the zoo’s conservation efforts and animal care practices.
- Enjoy a meal with a view: The zoo offers several restaurants and cafes, many of which offer stunning views of the park and its animal residents.
- Shop for souvenirs: Don’t forget to pick up a memento of your visit at one of the park’s gift shops, which offer a variety of items ranging from plush toys to educational books and games.
- 2920 Zoo Dr
San Diego, CA 92101
- (619) 231-1515
- Visit website
Centennial Park at Coronado Ferry Landing
2.4 miles away
Centennial Park, located next to the Coronado Ferry Landing, has a sandy beach on San Diego Bay. Condo buildings...
Coronado Tidelands Park
2.8 miles away
Tidelands Park is a Coronado city park with sports fields, a skate park, and a sandy beach on San...
Spanish Landing Park
3.1 miles away
Spanish Landing Park is a long narrow park along busy North Harbor Drive in San Diego. This park is...
San Diego Museum of Art
0.2 miles away
The San Diego Museum of Art is one of four art museums located in San Diego’s 1,400-acre Balboa Park....
Timken Museum of Art
0.2 miles away
Britt Scripps Inn
0.6 miles away
0.8 miles away
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.