About Mission Soledad in Soledad, California
The Mission Soledad is certainly one of the loveliest, rural missions. It is set among the beautiful hills and mountain range that separates this fertile Monterey County valley from the Big Sur coast. The mission more formally known as Mission Nuestra Senora de la Soledad was founded in October of 1791 and was the thirteenth mission completed of the 21 California Missions. Father Fermín Francisco de Lasuén founded the mission and provided a ministry to the Esselen Indians of the Salinas Valley. In ruins after 1874, the chapel was reconstructed and dedicated under the auspices of the Native Daughters of the Golden West, October 1955. The Soledad Mission is very quiet and peaceful. It maintains imposing ruins of the early mission, restored chapel and a garden. Located south of the town of Soledad off Highway 101, take Arroyo Seco Road exit. Continue to Fort Romie Road making a right-hand turn. Mission Soledad is approximately 1.3 miles down Fort Romie Road. The Mission is one of very few that continues as both a historical landmark and operated as a church under the auspices of the Catholic Church.
- 36641 Fort Romie Rd
Soledad, CA 93960
- (831) 678-2586
- Visit website
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.