About La Jolla Shores Beach in La Jolla, California
La Jolla Shores Beach is a long, wide, and very popular beach in northern La Jolla. Compared to most of the La Jolla beaches which are tucked into gaps between rocky points, this one is a monster at over a mile in length.
Kayakers put in at the south end of the beach and paddle out to see La Jolla Cave and other water-accessible sites. Beach walkers can head north for a long way by passing under the Scripps Pier and continuing all the way to Black’s Beach (warning this area is clothing optional).
Lifeguards are on-hand daily at La Jolla Shores for swimmers and surfers to safely enjoy the surf. It’s tops for picnicking, sunbathing, playing in the water, and people watching.
The beach is in front of Kellogg Park which has two grassy areas for picnics that are separated by a large parking lot. Even though the beach is large and so is the parking lot, they both can fill up on sunny days. Get here early and make a full day of your visit.
Rentals are available at the beach and on Avenida de la Playa where you’ll also find a market and many restaurants.
From downtown La Jolla head north on Torrey Pines Road then turn north onto La Jolla Shores Drive then turn left onto Calle Frescota which leads to the lot entrance.
- Camino Del Oro & Calle Frescota
La Jolla, CA 92037
- Park Name
- La Jolla Shores Park, Kellogg Park
- City Beach
- Pet Details
- Leashed dogs allowed on beach before 9am and after 6pm from April-Oct. (changes to 4pm Nov.-March).
- Free parking
- Surfing, Volleyball, Scuba Diving, Sunbathing, Swimming, Picnicking, Kayaking, Scuba Diving, Sunbathing, Beach Walking, Stand-Up Paddleboarding, Grunion Runs
- Grass Park, Picnic Tables, Kids Play Area, Volleyball Courts, Lifeguard, Rentals, Boat Launch, Fire Pits
This is the best “big” beach in La Jolla by far! It has easy access and lifeguards so bring your kids. Love this place!