There are few dog friendly beaches in Los Angeles County. Unfortunately, all city and county rules are strictly against dogs on the beach even when leashed. There is only one off-leash area for dogs and it is in Long Beach. There is another area where dogs are allowed, but only if they are on a leash. Two coastal parks are dog-friendly, but their beaches are not. Here are the limited options for walking dogs on the coast of LA County.
- Rosie’s Dog Beach is an off-leash dog zone at Granada Beach in Long Beach. Owners can let their dogs roam freely in this coned-off area if they are under voice control. Rosie’s is open daily from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Not far away in Orange County is Huntington Dog Beach which has a much larger area to run your pooch compared to Rosie’s in LBC.
- Leo Carrillo State Beach in Western Malibu allows dogs on North Beach north of lifeguard tower number 3. This includes an area known as Staircase Beach which has a separate entrance at 4000 PCH. In both areas dogs are required to be on-leash.
- Leashed dogs are allowed at Point Fermin Park at the south end of Palos Verdes Peninsula. Your dog probably won’t appreciate the picturesque lighthouse or the views from the bluff, but you sure will. The linear park along the bluff on West Paseo Del Mar is also a great place for walking dogs. Unfortunately the beach below Point Fermin is off-limits to dogs like most of the beaches in LA County.
- Leashed dogs are allowed at Miramar Park in Torrance, but unfortunately they are not allowed on Torrance Beach or the paved bike path at the back of the beach. The long sidewalk above the beach on the bluff is a great alternative to the bike path and is open for walking leashed dogs. The park is open from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily.
- Areas with no dog beaches: There are cities in the Los Angeles area that are not dog-friendly at their beaches. These cities include Santa Monica, Marina Del Rey, Venice Beach, El Segundo, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, Redondo Beach, Torrance, and Rancho Palos Verdes. It’s too bad because Long Beach shows us how easy it is to create a small area on a vast beach where dogs can play in the salt water.
Below is our list of the top dog friendly beaches in Los Angeles.
Beaches on this list
Rosie’s Dog Beach is an area of Belmont Shore Beach designated by the city of Long Beach for off-leash dogs. This whole area is one long wide beach so it’s […]
North Beach at Leo Carrillo State Park is a wide family friendly and dog friendly beach in western Malibu. It has a large linear day-use parking lot right on the […]
Staircase Beach is a little-used area at the north end of Leo Carrillo State Beach in western Malibu. Surfers are the main visitors to this spot north of North Beach. […]
Point Fermin Beach is below the steep bluffs of Point Fermin Park and Lighthouse in the San Pedro District of Los Angeles. The beach here isn’t sandy, but the rocky […]
Huntington Dog Beach is a dog-friendly strand at the northern end of Huntington Beach City Beach. The zone where dogs are allowed on the beach is located between Seapoint Street […]