About Mission Beach in San Diego, California
Mission Beach (the beach) is a long and wide sandy beach in the Mission Beach district of San Diego. It’s a family friendly place with fun waves and lifeguards on hand every day. Adults and kids can enjoy the amusement park and restaurants behind the beach.
The crowds on Mission Beach congregate near the large parking areas at Mission Beach Park and the adjacent amusement park called Belmont Park. Belmont Park is a relatively small amusement park by California standards, but it has rides of all levels including a full-size roller coaster, big drops, spinning rides, and mellow rides for younger kids. The park also has a swimming pool, surfing wave pools, a putt-putt golf course, a climbing wall, a zip-line, bumper cars, and a game arcade. Restaurants, ice cream, T-shirt shops and more can be found all around Belmont Park.
The Ocean Front Walk pathway runs north and south from here for biking, skating, running, and walking. Heading north leads to Pacific Beach and heading south leads to the end of the Mission Beach Peninsula at South Mission Beach, a popular spot for beach volleyball.
The Mission Beach area is crazy with activity on a daily basis and wide sandy beaches are clearly not the only draw. If you’re visiting San Diego, Mission Beach should be high on your priority list, especially if you haven’t been there before.
Mission Bay is nearby and has many separate parks and beaches that offer a different experience than Mission Beach.
- Mission Blvd & Ventura Place
San Diego, CA 92109
- Park Name
- Mission Beach Park, Belmont Park
- City Beach
- Pet Details
- Leashed dogs allowed on beach before 9am and after 6pm from April-Oct. (changes to 4pm Nov.-March).
- Free parking at lots near Belmont Park
- Surfing, Sunbathing, Swimming, Biking, Skating, Running, Walking, Bonfires, Grunion Runs, Beach Walking, Picnicking
- Amusement Park, Boardwalk, Arcade, Wave House, Grass Park, Picnic Tables, Lifeguard, Showers, Bike Path, Fire Pits, Restaurants
Our kids enjoyed Belmont amusement park rides. There’s actually a lot more there than it seems. Lots to do.
The beach is good. super crowded on hot weekends.